Wednesday 28 April 2010

The Sea

Music has always been important to me. I can chart my life through various songs. Every type of music. Now and again I come across a piece of music or a song which stops me dead in my tracks, and for a brief moment, connects me to something else, another place. Of course this is highly subjective - one person's transcendent music is another person's tedious, but hey, all I can do is offer my own experience.

One such piece is from the great and incredibly missed Sandy Denny


In 1970 she formed Fotheringay and I first heard the album when a friend of mine brought it round, sat me down, and just said "Listen to this" The first time I heard 'The Sea", the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end. Flawless. The lyrics, Sandy's voice, the playing, it all comes together to make something that is so much more than the sum of its parts.

It still has that effect on me 40 years later.

So here it is - this is the only video I could find. Nice pics but I advise you to ignore them and listen.

Just listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment